Learn WorkSpace for yourself or a team
A course for adventurous senior citizens at Mildmay Community Centre – Monday afternoons in March 2023
NB: This course has started.
This is a course about being able to do something useful or essential – apps used by work teams, individual entrepreneurs and creators. You will learn the basics of Google WorkSpace – a package of apps widely used by business and non-profit organisations.
The apps are designed for teams as well as single users – and (like most workplace software now) they all run in the cloud – where you can access them from any location – as well as the computer you are using at home or in an office.
You probably access your personal email in a cloud server. Workplace software extends that kind of access to everything you do at work – vastly increasing productivity – and (a key concept) simplifying immediate collaboration with other people you work with.
This is not new – but if your work experience is not recent, you might not realise how much has changed in the last 10 years. Your tutor has been using this system since 2007, for personal use, community projects, and as a part-time employee of charity MRS – Independent Living (which uses WorkSpace for internal and external processes).
This could be right for you if …
- You are still in the job market in some way (including self-employment, return to work after retirement, or thinking about it) – or –
- You are a carer, expecting to resume employment eventually – or –
- You are interested in digital skills for business, non-profit, volunteering or education – or –
- You would like to know more about collaborative methods actually used in work places – or –
- You are a regular user of WorkSpace email such as seniors.org.uk or bold.org.uk – or –
- You are a regular user of Gmail.com, and would like to start using the other apps available to you.
- This is not a highly advanced course – but it is definitely not suitable for digital beginners, or anyone who needs 1:1 help.
- Main guideline: you should have an email address that you know how to use without help (that’s why sign-up is by email only).
Your privacy – if you join …
- You will not use your personal email or ID.
- We will provide temporary WorkSpace accounts with access to all the cloud apps.
What are the Workspace cloud apps?
Below is a list of apps that we will look at during the course. If you have email at seniors.org.uk or bold.org.uk, you already have all the apps. If you use Gmail.com, you have limited personal versions of most of them.
- Drive (cloud storage)
- Docs (word processing)
- Sheets (spreadsheets)
- Slides (presentation builder)
- Calendar (personal and team calendars)
- Meet (video and voice conferencing)
- Chat (messaging for teams)
- Jamboard (interactive whiteboard)
- Forms (forms and surveys)
- Keep (online notes)
- Sites (website builder)
Obviously, you won’t become proficient in all of those apps during a short course. But you will know what they are, and how to get started.
Organised by MRS – Independent Living (MRS-IL) – Digital Confidence project – 50pd.uk