Updated 30 May 2023
On this page:
Happening soon • Digital confidence • Digital & social drop-in • Digital inclusion • 50+ DataBank • 50+ DeviceBank • Help
50+ happening now
Digital Drop-in – every Wednesday, 1 – 4 pm
- Wednesday afternoon drop-in at Mildmay Community Centre (near Newington Green) — open to all older people, for any reason — and nobody needs a referral letter — every Wednesday.
- There is more information on this page — so keep scrolling down …
Learning Together – Mondays, 2 – 4 pm
- Exploring Digital Photos – 5, 12, 19 & 26 June.
Digital confidence, learning together
If you are 50 or over — please keep reading, because this is for you and it’s a free service.
Have you got a smartphone, tablet or laptop that you don’t quite understand?
Older people often feel a bit lost in a digital world that doesn’t seem to reflect their values or experience. But there is a lot you can do that is genuinely useful — both for yourself and your family or community.
We are here to help you find your own way through the digital maze — and be confident that you are doing the right thing.
No device, no Internet?
Most older people are like you. Sometimes it’s a choice. Sometimes it’s a lack of opportunity. Sometimes older people just don’t know how to get started.
We are here to help you over those obstacles.
And if you have decided that the Internet is not for you, we can help manage that choice too. We are here to help you with the life decisions that you make for yourself.
For more information, please join us at Mildmay Community Centre or visit our contact page.
Digital support for all older people
Mildmay Community Centre
Where the least connected get the most attention.
Wednesday Digital Drop-in for 1:1 help
- Every Wednesday, 1 to 4 pm
- It’s a drop-in for older people. That means you come when you can and leave when you must. You do not need an appointment or a referral.
- All older people welcome — for any purpose, digital or not.
- Internet access: we bring tablets and laptops, set up specifically for older beginners.
- You can bring your own device (especially if you have a problem with it) or you can use one of ours.
- Get help from our very experienced volunteer team.
- Mildmay CC has excellent, secure wifi for everyone who needs it.
Location and travel
- Mildmay Community Centre
Woodville Rd, Mayville Estate, N16 8NA
- Google map – Mildmay CC
- Newington Green bus stops: 21, 73, 141, 236, 341, 476.
- Matthias Rd bus stop: 236
- Nearest bus stop is the Matthias Rd 236 stop.
- Nearest station: Dalston Kingsland.
Our street map
The blue blobs show the position of bus stops. The pink line shows walking routes from the bus stops.
Digital inclusion is social inclusion
Inclusion feels like this …
This was normal service at Whitmore Community Centre in 2017 (with more in two other rooms). It could have been any of the other places we have used since 2006 — week after week, year after year — with or without funding.
Making connections …
When Florence connects at Mildmay Community Centre …
- Digital Drop-in – every Wednesday afternoon.
- Learning Together – some Monday afternoons.
- Mildmay Community Radio – Tuesday afternoons in the garden (if the weather is good).
50-Plus Data Bank
We have joined the National Data Bank scheme
You can read about the national scheme at the main website – goodthingsfoundation.org/databank
The National Databank provides free mobile data, texts and calls to people in need … Think of it like a ‘food bank’ but for internet connectivity data.
Our local 50-Plus Data Bank
The scheme has started. You can read about it on page The 50-Plus Databank.
50-Plus Device Bank
We have joined the National Device Bank scheme
You can read about the national scheme at the main website – goodthingsfoundation.org/national-device-bank
Our local 50-Plus Device Bank
The free laptop scheme has ended (but might be repeated). You can read about it on page 50-plus device bank laptops.
The free smartphone scheme has ended. You can read about it on post 50+ Device Bank – free smartphones for older people.
Help, and how to ask questions
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone or text to 07423 162019
On this page:
Happening soon • Digital confidence • Digital & social drop-in • Digital inclusion • 50+ Databank • 50+ DeviceBank • Help