Update 26 July 2021
A weekly event for all older people
The Monday Digital Drop-in for older people in the Curve Garden ended 12 July. We will continue informal digital support on Tuesdays (11 am – 1:30 pm).
Our Festival of Ideas event was last week — 20 July. The name of the event was How to Grow a Community Hub, and the details are at the bottom of this page.
The weekly events are sequels to the small pandemic support groups that we managed from July until March.
Tuesdays, open from 11 am
This Tuesday event is managed by the Curve Garden itself – with a strong emphasis on creativity, making things — and keeping everybody warm, refreshed and happy. It gets bigger and better every week. The best way to find out what happens is to be there.
The Curve Garden has no funding for this
Something you should know — the Curve Garden does not have funding support for the Tuesday project. It’s expensive, and the entire cost comes out of the Garden’s precarious reserves.
How to Grow a Community Hub
Tuesday 20 July, 11 am to 1:30 pm
This event was part of the London Festival of Ideas — exploring how to build stronger communities — and an imaginary step into the future that we all want.
We had our largest attendance ever, anywhere — at least 100, including a significant contingent of younger helpers. Thank you Hands On London for making that happen, and Curve Garden staff for being fully involved despite the extra work we must have created.
So we got everyone talking about community. Sixty-one people made posters. Our Tuesday salsa-reggae-bossanova-soukous band (still without a name) performed with their usual consummate brilliance. The weather was sublime. We could live forever like this.
More feedback coming soon.
Where is the Curve Garden?
- Dalston Eastern Curve Garden, 13 Dalston Lane, E8 3DF — opposite the library.
- Map: goo.gl/maps/kHJhwJBSiVhgYnE86
- Very close to Dalston Junction overground station, and not far from Dalston Kingsland.
- Bus: 30, 38, 56, 67, 76, 149, 236, 242, 243, 277, 488.
Other days, other places, always free
We will restore indoor digital support when it is safe to do so. Meanwhile, please ask us for details about …
- Support for beginners by phone, text and email
- Occasional online courses and workshops for people with internet at home
- COVID-safe help at home for people who are: housebound, carers, or have problems that they cannot bring to the Curve Garden.
How to ask questions
- Email to email@example.com
- Phone or text to 07423 162019