Notes on applying for the energy rebate
Updated 14 November 2022
These notes and links are for learners and volunteers at our Wednesday afternoon Mildmay Community Centre drop-in.
Important to understand – the rebate is not a grant from your borough council. It is a payment from central government, administered by the council in their own way.
By the way – we cannot provide financial advice of any kind; it’s not what we do.
Links for the energy rebate
- Government: Information for households in council tax bands A-D
- Turn2Us: Council Tax Rebate 2022
- BBC: Poorest households could miss out on £150 council tax rebate
If you pay Council Tax by direct debit
If you pay your Council Tax by direct debit you should have have received your rebate already — you don’t need the support offered on this page.
If you do NOT pay Council Tax by direct debit
You should apply to your local authority as soon as possible.
If you receive Council Tax Reduction
- Bands A to D — your deadline was 14 November 2022.
- Bands E to H — your deadline was 14 November 2022.
If you do NOT receive Council Tax Reduction
- Bands A to D — your deadline was 31 August 2022.
- Bands E to H — you are not eligible for the rebate.
A. Find your property reference number
- Visit the government web page gov.uk/council-tax-bands
- Click / tap on the button labelled Start now — then follow the instructions. This does not take long, but it is not easy for digital beginners. If you are stuck, please ask a helper.
- Eventually, you will land on a page that shows your property reference number (write it down now) — and also (if you were not sure) confirmation of your local authority and Council Tax band.
B. Do you have an email address you can use effectively?
Possession of an email address is not always enough. Ask yourself these questions …
- Do you know your correct email address?
- Can you open your email on the device you use most often? Or – if you don’t have a device of your own – can you open your email on one of our training laptops or tablets?
If your answer to those questions is no, you should probably apply for your rebate by phone (the numbers to call are on this page below).
If your answer is don’t know or not sure, please ask a helper to send you an email so you can check before you do anything else.
By the way – should we tell the council our email address?
- Yes — if you are totally confident that you are able — in all circumstances, now and in the future — to read, act on, and reply to email sent by the council. At least one nearby council will stop sending you conventional letters if you give them an email address.
C. Do you know your bank account details?
- You will need your account number and sort code.
D. Register with GrantApproval.co.uk
This step is difficult for digital beginners, but required for online applications. You will need …
- Your Council Tax account number.
- Your property reference number.
- A phone number.
- An email address.
- A password for grantapproval.co.uk (please write it down as soon as you have made it).
- To register, visit web page grantapproval.co.uk
- Follow the instructions.
- When you have finished at grantapproval.co.uk, remember to log out.
Hackney Council Tax rebate online form
- Visit web page hackney.gov.uk/ct-rebate
- Read the page carefully, then choose one of the four options.
- You might be asked to log back into GrantApproval.co.uk
- Follow the instructions at GrantApproval.co.uk
Hackney Council Tax rebate phone number
- 0208 356 3111, Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.
- Do not assume that your call will be answered quickly.
- Haringey council state that they have sent £150 vouchers to all residents who are not direct debit payers.
- For more information, visit web page haringey.gov.uk/council-tax-and-benefits/council-tax/help-paying-council-tax/council-tax-energy-rebate
- Islington council state that applications for the council tax energy rebate for bands A-D have now closed.
- For more information, visit web page islington.gov.uk/council-tax/council-tax-energy-rebate
- Tower Hamlets council state that they have sent letters or email to eligible residents, inviting them to apply for the rebate.
- For more information, visit web page towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl/council_and_democracy/council_tax/Energy-Grant-rebate.aspx
- Waltham Forest council state that they will write to all eligible residents.
- For more information, visit web page walthamforest.gov.uk/benefits-and-money-advice/help-and-advice/energy-bills-and-council-tax-rebate
Are you looking for information about Pension Credit and/or the Cost of Living payment? Visit our blog post Pension Credit and the cost of living payment